martedì 11 aprile 2017

The dice game: a fun, low-prep speaking game

UPDATE: This blog post has been awarded the 'Blog Award for Innovative Teaching Ideas' by Teaching English British Council for the month of April 2017.

A fun game to revise the question form of past simple and of course... to speak 🇬🇧!!!

Level: elementary

Age of students: Children, teenagers, adults

Aim of the game: Practising past simple forms

What you need: a dice each 3 students

*You can adapt easily this game to meet your students' needs. For example, it can also be used to practise present simple and frequency adverbs.

Rules of the game
1) Think of 6 actions you did yesterday.
2) Write them down.
3) Work in groups of 3.
4) In turn, roll the dice and read out the sentence that corresponds to the number you got.
E.g. I roll the dice and I get 1. I read out the sentence "I ate fish and chips".
5) The other two learners in the group need to make up a suitable question for my answer.
E.g. Question by Maria: " What did you eat for lunch yesterday?"
Question by Francesco: "What did you eat for dinner yesterday?"
6) The student who rolled the dice decides which question is the most suitable for their answer. 
7) The learner(s) who guessed the correct question get(s) as many points as the spots on the face of the dice)
E.g. In this case Maria got 1 point because I had fish and chips for lunch.

Some feedback
My students and I loved this game because:
- it was a good way to drill the question form of past simple;
- they practiced irregular verbs;
- and finally, they got some points to become the best student of the month 😜

38 commenti:

  1. Loved it.
    Simple and very effective!
    I'll definetely have a go with my students.
    Thank you!

    RispondiElimina
  2. Hello. I have a question about the game. Who asks the question? A member from the same group or from another group?

    RispondiElimina
    Risposte
    1. Hello,

      The people who ask the questions are from the same group ;)

      Elimina
  3. Hi Larissa,

    Just to let you know that we’ve shortlisted this blog post for this month’s TeachingEnglish blog award and I’ll be putting up a post about it on today’s TeachingEnglish Facebook page http://www.facebook.com/TeachingEnglish.BritishCouncil, if you’d like to check there for comments.

    Best,
    Ann

    RispondiElimina
  4. Risposte
    1. You're welcome, Miguel. I'm glad you find it useful! Larissa

      Elimina
  5. I am sure i will try this with my students and share it with my colleagues next time i organize a workshop. I like it very much.

    RispondiElimina
    Risposte
    1. Hi there! Thanks! Please let me know your feedback! Larissa

      Elimina
  6. Many thanks for the idea. I have a conversation program for my students, and I think I'll take this game to my junior high school students who are learning the simple past tense.

    RispondiElimina
  7. Thanks a lot. It sounds engaging and fun and I'll try it tomorrow.

    RispondiElimina
  8. Thanks! It can also be used to practice other verb tenses. Great idea!!!

    RispondiElimina
  9. Highly useful information shared by you, I really like your strategy of posting such relevant content, and making it available to us. Hope listen you soon again.
    English Practice App | English Learning App

    RispondiElimina
  10. What do you do when the students roll the same number each time? The first time the student rolled #1 on the dice & the 2nd time the student rolled the same number.

    RispondiElimina
  11. It was such a amazing post to read. Post more blog about the education of abacus for the kids. Also visi us on stream classes
    Online Reading Classes

    RispondiElimina
  12. If you want to teach your kids English with apps and online activities you have to check out this. English Grammar Apps for Kids

    RispondiElimina

  13. Nagaqq Yang Merupakan Agen Bandarq terbaik , Domino 99, Dan Bandar Poker Online Terpercaya di asia hadir untuk anda semua dengan permainan permainan menarik dan bonus menarik untuk anda semua

    Bonus yang diberikan NagaQQ :
    * Bonus rollingan 0.5%,setiap senin di bagikannya
    * Bonus Refferal 10% + 10%,seumur hidup
    * Bonus Jackpot, yang dapat anda dapatkan dengan mudah
    * Minimal Depo 15.000
    * Minimal WD 20.000
    * Deposit via Pulsa TELKOMSEL
    * 6 JENIS BANK ( BCA , BNI, BRI , MANDIRI , CIMB , DANAMON )

    Memegang Gelar atau title sebagai AGEN POKER ONLINE Terbaik di masanya

    Games Yang di Hadirkan NagaQQ :
    * Poker Online
    * BandarQ
    * Domino99
    * Bandar Poker
    * Bandar66
    * Sakong
    * Capsa Susun
    * AduQ
    * Perang Bacarrat
    * Perang Dadu (New Game)


    Info Lebih lanjut Kunjungi :
    Website : NAGAQQ
    Facebook : NagaQQ official
    WHATSAPP : +855977509035
    Line : Cs_nagaQQ
    TELEGRAM :+855967014811

    BACA JUGA BLOGSPORT KAMI YANG LAIN:
    Winner NagaQQ
    Daftar NagaQQ
    nagaqq

    RispondiElimina
  14. I really enjoyed your blog. I found it to be very informative and well-written. I especially liked the section on Hindi. I learned a lot from your post, and I'm sure others will too. Join our Hindi classes online and enhance your skills.

    RispondiElimina