GAME:Animal 🐴🐶🐷🐱🐠🐝idioms out of the box 📦
Target language: idioms which include animals
What you need: a shoebox
Pictures of animals
Words (which form the idiom) on paper strips
Rules of the game
1) Learners in teams (pairs/small groups) try to create idioms which include animals using the pictures and the words from the shoebox.
2) When they think they have one ready they shout out "miaow miaow".
3) Teacher checks it out and if it is correct they win one point. If it is not they need to put the picture+words back into the box and try a new combination.
4) When all the idioms have been created, the teacher will give the whole class feedback by writing the idioms on the board eliciting their meaning.
5) Learners change teams. One team calls out an idiom and the other teams have to come up with a sentence which includes that idiom. The fastest team wins a point and must call out the next idiom.
My students and I had a lot of fun and I hope this post might be useful with your students, too!