giovedì 10 ottobre 2013

Facebook and the Internet to inspire teens

I always look for new ideas to engage my teenager students. For their first class of the new course I thought about the Internet and Facebook. I'd like to share my ideas with you because they were successful!

Idea n.1
A FB profile of Elizabeth I
Students created a FB profile of Elizabeth I using some information about her I gave them such as this short biography I found while I was walking along the SouthBank when I was in London.
They worked in pairs, they read the biography and then they chose the information they could use in the FB page and this is what came out.

This activity helped my students reriew past simple (they read a biography) and they developed their comprehension by chosing which information introduce in the FB page.

Ideas n.2
Gallery walking questions about the Internet
I got this idea because I wanted my students to speak. A skill they don't usually improve because they are scared of speaking another language they are not comfortable with.
I gave each of them a question with a missing word on a strip. The missing words were on the walls of the classroom and they had to find the right one to complete their question. 
They had to compare their questions and the words they chose because they were all different. 
When all of them had their questions done, they sat down and started asking each other the questions. 
The topic engaged them, they learnt vocabulary about the Internet and they talk!
These are my strips!
I hope you enjoyed this post. If you have other ideas to add to the topic, please share them with me!


7 commenti:

  1. Thanks Larissa to share these activities. They are great. Bye bye.

    RispondiElimina
    Risposte
    1. Thank you Claudia for visiting my blog! All the best! Larissa

      Elimina
  2. Hello Larissa...do you think that doing the TEFL was a good think? Did it do difference in your teaching? Thank you!
    Viviane
    (vivianeferreira2004@hotmail.com)

    RispondiElimina
  3. Hello Viviane! I think it was a great experience! It gave me the chance to focus on every single aspect of teaching from time management to students' needs ;-) Good luck!

    RispondiElimina
  4. Hello Viviane! I think it was a great experience! It gave me the chance to focus on every single aspect of teaching from time management to students' needs ;-) Good luck!

    RispondiElimina
  5. Hi Larissa,
    I'd like my students to write down some of their experiences on a blog. Do you know any websites that my students can make use of?

    Thanks in advance!
    Tim

    RispondiElimina
    Risposte
    1. Hello Tim, thank you for visiting my blog! This website http://kidblog.org/home/ is for teachers and students as well. Have a look and let me know if you like it. All the best, Larissa

      Elimina