venerdì 21 giugno 2013

SUPER HEROES: a good input to teach CAN (abilities)

It is summer students are fed up with studying so to teach them CAN (abilities) I decided to use SUPER HEROES. I'd like to share my lesson plan with you

STUDENTS: PRE-TEENS
GRAMMAR: CAN (ABILITIES)


1) I started with this picture and a poll: WHICH IS YOUR FAVOURITE SUPERHERO?
2) After the poll I showed them the trailer of SUPERMAN MAN OF STEEL to get them involved in the topic of super powers.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=dwYatpwrs8s

3) TRUE OR FALSE?
After watching the video students worked in pairs in order to say whether the utterances on the post-it (on the wall of the classroom) were true or false.
Their level is A1 so the utterances were easy.
Here some examples:

- SUPERMAN IS ARRESTED BY THE POLICE.
- WHEN THE SPACESHIP LANDS NEAR THE HOUSE THE WOMAN IS HAPPY.
- SUPERMAN KISSES A GIRL

4) While the students were working on their own I wrote some utterances on the whiteboard.(You can find here some of them)
__________________  CAN ____FLY.
___________________CAN____ CLIMB.
___________________CAN ____MOVE VERY FAST.
___________________CAN_____DO MARTIAL ARTS.

5) Students were supposed to fill the first gap with the name of a SUPER HERO. I left a second gap if the students made a mistake. For example, they wrote BATMAN CAN ___ FLY. I didn't want to tell them they were wrong so I invited them to ask directly Batman whether he could fly.
STUDENT: BATMAN, CAN YOU FLY?
ME: NO, I CAN'T
So we added NOT to CAN. In this way students don't feel like they are wrong. Plus they learn NEGATIVE, SHORT FORMS AND QUESTIONS.

6) Then I asked students to draw their own SUPER HERO and write what they were their super powers.

7) Students finally worked in pairs to ASK AND ASWERS about their partner super powers.
For example:
A: WHAT'S YOUR SUPER HERO'S NAME?
B: UMBRELLA WOMAN.
A: CAN UMBRELLA WOMAN FLY?
B: NO, SHE CAN'T.
A: CAN UMBRELLA WOMAN RESIST THE RAIN?
B: YES, SHE CAN

8) At the end we put all the new super heros on the wall of the classroom.

I hope you can enjoy it!

Nessun commento:

Posta un commento